How is made up of the tax code for individuals?
It is important to know that the tax codes calculated with web applications are not valid and their use can lead to problems for citizens.
The tax code of individuals is made up of an expression of 16 alphanumeric characters, as follows (see figure):
- The first 3 characters are the first 3 consonants of the surname (when the consonants are less than 3, they are integrated with the first vowel until there are 3 characters, if the last name has 2 characters, the third is the letter X)
- the same is for the name, which provides the second group of 3 letters of the code (when the name contains more than 3 consonants the first, third and fourth are taken)
- the first 2 numbers (seventh and eighth characters of the tax code) are the last 2 digits of the year of birth
- The ninth character is a letter representing the month of birth
- The next 2 numbers are the day of birth, for females increased by 40 units
- the characters from 12 to 15 indicate the place of birth (city code or foreign state code)
- The last character, alphabetic, has a control function.
What happens in case of “omocodia”?
It may happen that two or more people have such personal data to generate the same tax code ("omocodici").
In these cases, the Revenue agency assign to each of them a new tax code, calculated from the one generated based on the data.
What to do if you find incorrect data on the tax code card?
In case of incorrect data on the tax code card, a replacement must be required to any office of the Revenue agency, showing a valid ID.
How to ask for a duplicate
If the tax code card is lost or stolen, damaged or unreadable, you can ask for a duplicate. The duplicate of the health card can be obtained from any office of the Revenue agency. Citizens living abroad can request a duplicate by contacting the Italian Consulate in their country.